Thursday, July 18, 2013

Baby on a Budget - Diaper Stockpiling

When I first got pregnant, my boyfriend and I were pretty scared, not only because of the responsibility involved with having a child, but the financial impacts. Googling 'cost of raising a child' came back with figures that almost made me pass out! According to moneysense.ca the cost of raising a child in Canada is $243, 660 over an 18 year period... WHAT?! So dividing that by 216 months (18 years * 12 months in a year) that totals an average of $1128.06 a month... that's almost as much as I make!!

Needless to say, I was pretty determined that I would not spend nearly that much, and come maternity leave, I wanted to have a majority of the supplies needed to take care of my child without having to run out to the store for quite some time. Now, in order to accomplish that I needed to find out what exactly we needed, and how much of it. Diapers were obviously on my top lists of things to stock up on, that and wipes. I spent hours googling and trying to find out how much diapers people used in the first few months.. the answers varied. Basically I found out that every baby is different and there is no way to guess how much of everything you need... great. So I decided to wing it.

Now, according to the millions of websites, and yahoo answers I looked up, a lot of people urged not to buy to many newborn diapers, and that the children of those speaking said their babies stayed in size 2s and 3s the longest. I took it from there and at 8 months old the only diapers that were bought were bought by my mom who, seeing a good sale, couldn't pass up the opportunity to buy them for when she visits their house.

Buying diapers ahead of time

 Mila is in size 3s now and doesn't look to be changing anytime in the next couple months... but she could surprise me. I have had a about 150 size 1 diapers and another 150 size two diapers left over. Now, keep in mind, Mila was in the hospital for the first two months and they supplied all her needs there; we did bring in a couple bags though as we had so many. While in the hospital for those two months, they would change her every 3 hours exactly, so she would therefore have 8 diaper changes in a 24 hour period. There were times we would do an extra diaper change or two a day but on average she would use 8 - 10 diapers daily.

Our stock was APPROXIMATELY as follows:

Newborn: 85 -- 40 left over, hospital wouldn't use them
Size 1: 300 -- 150 or so left over
Size 2: 400 -- 150 or so left over
Size 3: 450 -- Still have about 250 left, also still in this size.
Size 4: 550
Size 5: 236

It is important to note that if Mila had not been in the hospital, she would have likely used up a majority of the diapers that we had left over.

I have looked at the Dietitians of Canada website and using the WHO growth chart along with Mila's current weight and height I attempted to determine the amount of diapers she would use over the next few months. (http://www.dietitians.ca/secondary-pages/public/who-growth-charts.aspx). We switched her over to size 3 at the beginning of June and she was sticking pretty well to the following schedule until we started adding in cloth diapers during the day.

Calculation using WHO charts, Mila's weight/height and average diaper changes per day:

6-9 months in size 3
6/day *30days * 7months = 1260 total

8+ months in size 4
5-6x/day * 30days * 8months = 1440 total

So anyways, that's how many diapers we have used thus far as well as how many we expect to have used during the next few months had we stuck to strictly disposables... I hope this entry helps others figure out how many diapers to buy ahead of time if they want to stockpile for a few months when expecting a new baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment