Tuesday, June 18, 2013

No Flour, Butter or Sugar - Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookies!


Alright, after my initial 'parenting ain't all it's cracked up to be' post I figured I would follow up with something a little happier so... I MADE COOKIES!

Now, these aren't the regular old chocolate chip cookies with flour, butter, eggs and sugar. Heck, before making these I didn't even consider these cookies because.. well... the ingredients are too healthy.

The recipe is one of those screen grabs that circulate around Facebook being shared by everyone and rarely being made... they're kind of just there to make you look like you eat healthy. Surprisingly, this one was actually tested out and recommended by a couple of women in my mommy group... they said it was chewy and almost like raw cookie dough. Yeah, okay... sure sure... there isn't any butter though.. or tasty things like sugar. It's literally chick peas, peanut butter, honey, baking powder and vanilla extract. And yes, that first ingredient I listed is CHICK PEAS!

Anyways... here is the screen grab I worked my magic from: 



Once you get past the ingredients it sounds pretty simple right? Well, it is.. and I took a bunch of pictures to prove it : )
                                    


 1. Collected my materials from around the kitchen, nothing fancy or anything... and I didn't have Natural peanut butter so despite the warning not to use regular.. I did anyways (I'm such a rebel!)


2. Pre-heated oven to 350.


 3. 'Ah heck, they're dry enough' chick peas. I just rinsed them in the can a few times with water took them out and poured 1 1/4c of them onto paper towel and dried them like that.
  

 4. Yeah, I'm fancy and used my baby bullet as a food processor since I don't have one. I added my 1/2c + 2tbsp of regular peanut butter along with the 1/4c of honey, 1 tspn of vanilla extract and 1tspn of baking powder.


 5. Baby bulleted the crap out of the chick pea mix... starting to look a lot more like cookie dough.


I had to stir a lot in between pulses because it just wouldn't mix in nicely... I blame the peanut butter. You can see the stir marks here... also, it might just be me, but he looks pretty pleased with himself.


 6. Added 1/2c of semi-sweet chocolate chips... maybe a little less since I couldn't help but munch on a few before pouring.
  

 7. Rolled and set them on the parchment paper. I made them a little smaller than what the recipe stated but did flatten them a little. 


8. Although the recipe says about 10 minutes, when I checked them they were still really moist and not browned... about 3 extra minutes did the trick and this is how they came out looking... not bad... they look like cookies.


9. Taste test! They actually turned out pretty good considering the ingredients... I was pretty impressed. I had the family try them when everyone was home and they passed the taste test with them also also DB said he wasn't all too fond of the texture. 


The cookies weren't of the crunchy sort though so anyone looking for that should look elsewhere. They were very moist and continued to be moist even the next day when I ate the last lonely cookie sitting on the plate.

The recipe made a total of 17 cookies, the last 5 of which I added extra vanilla and they turned out fantastic... so lesson learned, I'll double the amount of vanilla extract next time I make this recipe... and you can bet I WILL make these again since I felt a little less of a fatty gobbling these babies up.

Until next time! xo

No comments:

Post a Comment